Green Card

From the 1st January 2021 you will be required to carry a ‘green card’ with you when driving in the EEA remember that includes Eire, Andorra, Serbia or Switzerland. You are required to carry a green card to evidence that you have the correct insurance. Green cards are usually valid for 15 days, however if your trip is longer than this it can be extended, just speak with your insurance provider.

It is also important to let your broker or insurance company know your travel plans, they normally like to know the dates or travel, countries you are visiting and if you are towing. For clients wanting to take a trailer or caravan – A separate Green Card is required for any towed vehicle.

How to get one?

Simply call your broker or insurance provider and explain to them about your plans to drive abroad. They will be able to advise on the necessary steps and provide you with a Green Card. We recommend doing this before your date of travel to ensure you have received it prior to your trip.

European Breakdown Cover.

It is also a useful idea to check that your breakdown cover is extended to driving abroad. This can be a crucial element of travelling outside of the UK.  European breakdown cover as some great benefits including Emergency overnight accommodation, alternative travel and much more.

If you are looking for a breakdown policy to cover you whilst driving abroad call us on 01395 255100. We also provide specialist breakdown cover for non-standard vehicles.

Useful links:

Buy Breakdown & Recovery Online