Musicians Insurance, what do you need to know?


Do musicians need public liability insurance?

Of course you would expect us to say yes to this question. The main element of our Musicians Insurance is to provide cover for your legal liability, not a legal requirement, but definitely a sensible idea.

Event organisers or venues often ask musicians to provide proof of cover for public liability insurance. If fact, the event organiser or venue may insist on you having a particular level of public liability insurance, as your policy needs to match their requirements. You should check carefully before you buy your policy.

What does Public Liability Insurance Cover?

Public liability insurance is essential for musicians as it provides financial protection in the event that someone is injured or their property is damaged at one of your gigs or events. It can also cover legal fees and other costs associated with third-party claims, such as medical expenses, court costs, and settlement payments.

This might occur when your event is open to the public during your performance, or when you are setting up and have taken possession of your performing area.

Even the cost of legal fees can be significant. You do not need to be doing something dangerous for these injuries to happen, it could just be a simple accident. If you are found to be legally liable your policy will pay damages, claimants costs and expenses as well as offering defence costs.

Without public liability insurance, musicians may be held personally liable for any injuries or damages they cause while performing or hosting an event, which can result in significant financial losses. In addition to providing financial protection, public liability insurance can also help musicians to secure performance venues and maintain relationships with promoters and record labels.

By taking out a policy, musicians can protect themselves from potential lawsuits and ensure peace of mind when performing live shows.

How much does Public Liability Insurance cost?

This depends on a number of things:

  • How long do you need the cover for?
  • The level of cover required?
  • What type of musician are you? For example, are you a soloist or a member of a band?
  • Previous claims history

Subject to the above prices start from as little as £12 for £2 million indemnity for a single gig. This can be provided by our Single Performance Insurance.

If you need cover for a full 12 months you will need to look at our Annual Performer Insurance. Our policy has been designed to suit performers and professional musicians who are performing multiple times, at a range of events, throughout the year. With premiums starting from as little as £53.53 for the year, we hope this policy is affordable as well as practical.

How can I buy Musician Insurance?

If you are ready to buy head over to our 24 hour Online Quote and Buy and get the Musician Insurance policy you need, when you need it.

Here you can read the policy wording which details all our exclusions and also definitions of what certain terms mean.

Open 24 hours a day

What about getting my documents?

With regard to your insurance documents these are emailed to you within a few seconds of you purchasing cover. Everything is then in place ready for your big performance!

Once you receive your documents it is important that you spend some time checking that all the details are correct so that any errors or corrections can be carried out as soon as possible.

What covers are available?

For a single gig we offer our Single Performance Insurance policy. This is available online only, we need to do this to keep the costs down. It just covers your public liability requirements, if you need something more just drop us an email or give us a call.

Alternatively, our Annual Performer Insurance has additional cover options and of course provides cover for a full 12 months. The additional sections are: Employers Liability Insurance, Property Insurance, Money with assault and stock.

How can Graham Sykes Insurance help?

Our online quote and buy facility means that you are able to purchase a policy 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Our documents are clear and easy to understand and they are issued immediately to your PC, phone, tablet or Mac. This helps the enviroment and provides you with evidence of cover for any venue or event organiser.

If you need any help you can contact us via our online chat, by telephone, by email. You can also call in our offices you can speak to us face to face.

We also want to help with advertising your gig via our What’s On page.

Working Together

What type of acts is this policy suitable for?
  • SInger Songwriters
  • Unsigned Bands
  • Choirs
  • Shanty Singers
  • Tribute Bands
  • Brass Bands
  • Celloist
  • Guitarist
  • Harpist
  • Quartets
  • Pianist
  • Orchestras
  • Street Busker
  • Violinist

This is not a complete list. If your act does not show please contact us and we will see how we can help you.